Tuesday, April 21, 2009

oh well, whatever

Misinterpretation happens all the time. People speak, write, express in some way and the listeners, readers do not always receive the message intended by the sender. Some people call this not getting it. It: the message, the intended thing to be told. Frustration results. Frustration takes on forms like anger, guilt, and self-loathing. Often, senders don’t care about the receiver. Receivers sometimes discount the sender. It’s kind of an “Oh Well” attitude or “whatever”. Senders dislike having to resend. Artists sometimes rewrite. Playwrights and screenwriters rewrite for actors, directors and producers. Architects modify their designs for clients. Change hurts, though and rewrites must feel like a compromise at times. Rewrites cannot always be easy although some writers like Joseph Heller and Neil Simon (people call him the king of the rewrite) actually enjoyed the process of changing their work. Then there’s the concept of appreciating the unfinished. Another essay, maybe. Fleetwood Mac plays at the Sprint Center soon. Talk about changes. That band has changed over the 42 years of its existence. Peter Green fronted the group in their first years. When my children used to say to me “Whatever” when I asked them to do something or when I told them about a stupid event in my past meant to be a teaching point, I remembered the song “Oh Well” from 1969. Forty years ago, this was my teenage version of “Whatever”.
"But dont ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Oh Well...http://tinysong.com/38rm

No comments:

Post a Comment