Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I was...up in the air...too long

The film, Up in the Air, comes out this week, with George Clooney. From 2002 to 2004, I had a job where I traveled just about every week. It was an education, for sure. At the Portland airport in 2002, I picked up this book, published in 2001, and read it on the way home through two flights and a long layover at O’Hare. I liked it and gave it to a friend a few months later, someone living the business travel ninja lifestyle also. It was an interesting time for me and I often look back and wonder how I and my family got through it with so much separation and movement. This book captures that time for me very clearly. I wonder how the film will glean that atmosphere? Times have changed and our view of business travel is tainted perhaps. But it was a genuine book of its time, an organic narrative, very genuine.

No comments:

Post a Comment