Tuesday, July 24, 2012

political fricassée

The Kansas City Star's editorial team has a series of columns with the preface phrase "Political Fracas"... to this I offered an alternative dish... I have broken my promise to myself to stop writing at the Star's editorial blog discussion table... no intervention required...yet


Mom made fricassée often with leftovers and served it up on toast. In New Orleans I tasted a few Fricassée recipes with that delicious dark chocolate colored roux. One was really spicy.Battle rhetoric can be fun. I’m seeing the word fracas here often as a hook. My Dad used to mispronounce the word, saying instead “frucus”. Wrong vowel, Dad. Reminds me of a fun English word, as in a word one hears often in England – kerfuffle. Kerfuffle suggests more confusion than conflict although a lot of conflicts start with confusion. It’s odd that on one hand we read pieces here extolling the virtues of peace, gun control, responsibility, and a Batman-less summer amid the recurring fracases…fracasi? fracasum? I think the plural is fracases although that sounds a lot like rhinoceroses. Is there more than one at the zoo? The collection of fracases thus far have much in common with fricassée. A slow-cooked stew, with gravy. There’s plenty of recipes out there. I’m unable to recommend a link. Don’t fight it. Eat it.


Read more here: http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/political-fricassee/#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment