Sunday, April 26, 2009

CRMMMM

A few weeks ago Emily and I discussed architecture. I mentioned Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh. They signed their collaborative work CRMMMM. Today I found a book at the library with the best photos I’ve seen of their works. My brother told me about CRMMMM a few years ago. These two works are by CRM.

Part Seen, Imagined Part, 1896

CRM presents this token to Margaret as a statement of his commitment to her, seen and imagined. She treasures this gift all her life.

1 comment:

  1. I believed that to be true too, but Thomas Howarth in the preface to the second edition of his book 'CRM and the Modern Movement', page xxv, revises that to say the initials were to show who was present at the time the drawings were done, rather than showing they were joint work.
    Although they obviously worked as a team and produced synergetic designs of incredible majesty. The gesso works of MMM still make me cry with their exquisite beauty...

    ReplyDelete