Tuesday, June 23, 2009

peanut butter free zone


Last year at this time, I introduced my oldest granddaughter, Ryan, to jelly toast for breakfast. Her Mom cautioned me not to give Ryan peanut butter as these days the doctors caution parents to wait until a child is two to introduce the delectable creamy confection that when combined with jelly and bread creates the all-time amazing lunch meal – PBJ. Ryan and I patiently waited for year two to come. We discussed peanut butter often. I showed her the jar of Jiff Creamy, explaining that peanut butter choice aligns with religious beliefs and political leanings. You know the deal: Now there are the organic peanut butter lovers, added to the Skippy defenders, in addition to the down-home Georgia peanut butter believers. I lived in Georgia a while and if you are a peanut butter fan, ditch the trip to wine country and explore the peanut butters of Georgia. The Georgia treat is the PBPJ – peanut butter with peach jam…heaven.

I forgot to mention the crunchy peanut butter subcultures. My brother’s preference always was Skippy crunchy. As a kid we therefore always had two jars on-hand: Jiff Creamy and Skippy crunchy. Mom and Dad encouraged our individuality.

Ryan is 2 now and she goes to pre-school three times a week. I call it “university” but Ryan says it’s merely “school”. Yesterday, I asked Ryan if she wanted me to make her a PBJ for school lunch. She and her Mom told me that peanut butter is not allowed at school. No guns, cigarettes, or peanut butter. Ryan said that peanut butter makes some kids sick, but she was quick to note that she loved peanut butter and that she was allowed to have it on her breakfast toast. I made her an open face PBJ for breakfast according to her specifications on toasted bread which her Daddy made the night before.

Her sister Lila sat across the table eating her jelly bread listening, as she does, to our conversation. She looked at the last piece of her jelly bread and handed it to Bruce, the dog. She switched to sliced banana. Lila doesn’t say much now for a number of reasons: she’s 14 months old and resents that her age is still measured in months, her sister represents her in all negotiations, and she enjoys baby sign language now especially the sign for “more”. That seems to fit most communication requirements. She can’t have peanut butter yet and while she understands the risks, she does enjoy the aroma as she sits across from Ryan, and when Bruce saddles up for a snack with peanut butter on his breath.

1 comment:

  1. Jiff & Skippy, Coke & Pepsi, Jersey tomatoes & corn vs those from any other state: you really CAN taste the difference. And thanks for helping me make up my mind about what to have for lunch!

    ReplyDelete