Thursday, January 5, 2012

President Obama's defense narrative: seeking re-election not national security

When you have a moment, for it's a mere 8 pages, have a look at the document behind President Obama's speech today:

Global Leadership: Priorities for 21st Century Defense, Jan.3.2012

I think it's a brilliant re-election campaign document but a very inadequate bit of strategy.

What do you think?

I know the Commander-in-Chief has some tough choices ahead but I feel this document and his speech today leave me feeling "there's no there there". I realize budgetary pressures pressure the President to slice, dice, and trim. But I feel this strategy is premature given our immature "almost-post-war" perspective. It worries me that American citizens and their elected representatives are not paying attention to this strategy or the President.

But I realize that the President wants all this to "go away" softly, so that he can strengthen his domestic agenda of economic growth. Crystal balls he must juggle.

This document, however is no fine crystallization of strategic thought. George Kennan tisks tisks from above, I think. "These naive bureaucrats", he muses.

Speaking of strategic Muses...George Kennan

No comments:

Post a Comment